December is quickly approaching and you are looking for a marketing strategy to outshine last year’s campaign. Pro Tip: Host a Christmas Giveaway!
Christmas giveaways are exciting marketing campaigns that perfectly embody the festive season by offering people a chance to win something for free. It’s also an excellent way for your brand the end the year on a high note.
Hosting a giveaway at the end of the year is ideal for brands looking to stand out among other brands with competing festive offers.
Because Christmas and the holiday season pose time constraints that are challenging for marketers, you will have to carefully plan and execute your giveaway.
We analyzed a bunch of Christmas giveaways to break down the strategies they used. The info we have in this guide will certainly help you to create a fantastic end-of-year marketing campaign.
But before we get into our Christmas giveaway examples, let’s find out who should host a Christmas giveaway.
- Who Should Host Christmas Giveaways?
- When Should You Host a Christmas Giveaway?
- Christmas Giveaway Examples
- Christmas Giveaway Ideas with VYPER
- Christmas Giveaway Q&A
FREE DOWNLOAD: Get all Our Contest & Giveaway Marketing Guides, Checklists, and tutorials that have helped 100’s of brands collect 15k+ emails in under 21 days!
Who Should Host Christmas Giveaways?
We answered a similar question in our Black Friday Giveaway post. Similarly, any brand that has Christmas offers and promotions during the holiday season should indeed host a Christmas giveaway.
A Christmas giveaway is an excellent campaign for:
- Creating brand awareness and exposure
- Boosting social media engagement
- Driving traffic to your website
- Generating new leads and sign-ups
Being more discoverable during such a competitive period when consumer spending is at its highest can be beneficial.
Here are some interesting Christmas spending stats:
If you want your brand to have a powerful presence among these stats, you will have to up your marketing game during the holiday season. A giveaway will certainly make a drastic difference to your marketing strategy.
When Should You Host a Christmas Giveaway?
As per the stats above, 60% of consumers do their shopping a week before Christmas. So, your Christmas promotion efforts should be on point in the weeks leading up to this period.
For example, you can host a giveaway from the 1st to the 17th of December. Then announce the winners on the 25th (or on Christmas eve).
The wandering bird (a travel blog) hosted their Christmas giveaway from the 1st to the 12th of December. However, the concept behind their campaign was to give away a prize a day for 12 days.
Orlando Magazine hosted a Christmas giveaway with a similar concept. They gave away prizes every day for 25 days.
This meant that Orlando Magazine ran a massive marketing campaign from the 1st of December up until Christmas day.
Your Christmas giveaway does not have to be as elaborate as the giveaways mentioned above. You can run a simple Gift Card Giveaway or a Makeup Giveaway. Anything that will attract your target audience to your brand during the holiday season.
Hosting a Christmas Giveaway in July
We researched a bunch of Christmas giveaways and found that many brands actually host their campaigns in July.
Niche brands like Halloween and Christmas stores rely on seasonal sales. It makes sense for a Christmas brand to promote their store with a giveaway during another holiday season, like in July.
The Christmas Ornament Shop and The Children’s Book Review teamed up to host a Christmas giveaway in July. Here’s why:
- The Christmas Ornament Shop got to promote their Christmas storybooks and kiddies apparel during July.
- The Christmas Ornament shop got The Children’s Book Review, a children’s literacy blog, to host and promote the giveaway on their website.
This is an excellent example of how a niche online store can use a website (or influencer) to promote its brand during the off-seasons.
Christmas Giveaway Examples
We analyzed a few Christmas giveaways to find out what it takes to create a compelling and successful year-end campaign.
We hope that the examples and breakdowns below will help inspire your next giveaway.
So Fort Worth It Giveaway – Online Brand
- Entry Method: Go to the Instagram giveaway post to enter
- Prize: $8500 worth of Gifts from 40 different brands
- Ideal for: Influencers and online brands that often collaborate with other brands
Christy Dunaway Smith is a local designer and socialite that runs her popular lifestyle blog, SoFortWorthIt. She hosted a shopping event for local businesses a few months prior to Christmas.
Christy’s event allowed local businesses to participate and promote their brands before the holiday season. The event was crucial to smaller businesses that were looking for much-needed exposure before Christmas.
To effectively promote the event, Christy held a massive giveaway on her blog and on Instagram. She got the businesses (that were featured in her event) to sponsor prizes.
All the prizes were bundled together to form one massive giveaway prize that would attract a broader audience to the giveaway and the shopping event.
Users had to visit Christy’s Instagram page to enter and if people wanted more info on the giveaway and its participating brands, they could get that from Christy’s blog. This is a great strategy for creating exposure for an event to people across the Instagram platform, while also pushing traffic back to a website.
- By creating a massive shopping event under her brand name, Christy was able to get the brands she collaborated with in the event to also collab with her in the giveaway. This allowed Christy to build a massive giveaway prize sponsored by multiple brands which eventually drew a larger crowd to her giveaway and event.
- The success of the giveaway meant more exposure to Christy’s brand and the brands that collaborated with her. This also leads to a successful event.
- With multiple brands taking part in a single giveaway, all brands were able to help with the promotion efforts. This amplified the results exponentially as every entrant was required to follow all brands. So, all brands that participated ended up with tons of new Instagram fans after the giveaway.
- Creating a blog post to promote the giveaway is a great way to ensure that Christy’s blog is included in the campaign. This is an excellent way of also pushing traffic to her website during the campaign.
The Christmas Market Giveaway – Instagram
- Entry Method: Follow and tag the brand on Instagram to enter
- Prize: $100 gift card for The Christmas Marketplace online store
- Ideal for: E-commerce brands (online stores)
The Christmas Market is an online store (Shopify) that specializes in Christmas-themed decor, apparel, gifts, and more. The owner, Siannon, sells Christmas goods all year round on The Christmas Market.
Instagram is at the center of Siannon’s marketing strategy, which is why engagement and followers on the platform are vital to her brand.
The Christmas Market is also a niche brand that is heavily dependant on the Christmas season. So, hosting an Instagram giveaway in June is an excellent way to create brand awareness and exposure during quieter periods.
An Instagram giveaway is also ideal for boosting engagement for online stores that market their brands on the platform.
You don’t have to go big with your giveaway to improve engagement on Instagram. The Christmas Market shows us that a simple Gift Card Giveaway is sufficient in achieving your marketing goals.
- This is an excellent example of how a small Shopify store can host an Instagram giveaway to grow its brand on the platform.
- A gift card giveaway is a cost-efficient way to promote your brand on social media and drive traffic to your online store. People who enter gift card giveaways are most likely going to visit the store to see which products they can purchase if they do win.
- The Christmas Market hosted a giveaway during June (a “slow” month) to increase exposure, leads, and sales. Niche brands, like Halloween stores, can also promote themselves offseason with a giveaway.
Want to learn how online stores drive traffic to their websites with inexpensive gift card giveaways?
Sarah Betts Christmas Giveaway – YouTube
- Entry Method: Subscribe, Follow, and Comment to enter
- Prize: Prize bundle that includes a backpack, headphones, camera, and more
- Ideal for: YouTubers, Influencers, Personal Brands
Sarah Betts is a popular YouTuber with over a million subscribers. She regularly posts lifestyle vlogs and fashion tips.
Sarah hosts an annual Christmas Giveaway on her channel to boost subscribers, social followers, and engagement.
She achieves this by giving away a massive prize bundle that is made up of multiple prizes. Users must subscribe to her channel, follow her on Instagram, and leave a comment on the giveaway video to enter.
Sarah’s strategy is excellent as it allows her to achieve the following with her giveaway:
- More YouTube subscribers
- An increase in Instagram fans and engagement
- YouTube comments, engagement, and more views
- Sarah uses a single YouTube giveaway to promote her channel and Instagram profile. By requesting that users visit her Instagram page and follow her, she would go on to successfully drive traffic from YouTube to Instagram.
- Brands looking to host a YouTube giveaway can ask Sarah to host their giveaway on her channel. She can then create a giveaway video to promote the campaign and drive traffic to the brand’s website.
- Sarah’s prize selection is truly awesome. She could have just given away a pair of headphones or a camera. Instead, she chose to build a massive prize bundle that included multiple prizes that can draw a broader audience.
Want more tips on hosting YouTube giveaways?
Christmas Giveaway Ideas with VYPER
At VYPER, we are always throwing around giveaway ideas. We love to come up with giveaway concepts to share with our audience.
We worked on two Christmas giveaway concepts below just for this post. Feel Free to use our giveaway ideas for your next campaign.
NB. The giveaways below are all demo campaigns created using our service. You can signup for free here and create your own designs using VYPER – https://vyper.io/user/register?redirect=freeaccount
The Flourist Christmas Giveaway (E-comm/Online Store)
- Entry Method – Visit our website and Instagram page to enter
- Prize – Prize bundle that includes gift cards, flour mixer, recipe books, and more
- Goal – Boost website traffic and Instagram fans
The Flourist is an online flour store and distributor. Apart from selling flour in their Shopify store, The Flourist also has a bakery section that features pastries, bread, and cookbooks.
We believe that The Flourist can effectively promote its website and products at the end of the year with a Christmas giveaway. They can create a large prize bundle that includes gift cards, products from their website, and baking appliances.
Benefits of this campaign:
- The entry method will help The Flourist to achieve multiple goals like an increase in website traffic and Instagram fans. Also, requesting that users create an account to enter will in turn increase their new account signups.
- Using multiple prizes to make up a larger prize bundle is an excellent way to attract a broader audience to the giveaway.
Linus Tech Tips Christmas Giveaway (YouTube/Online Brand)
- Entry Method – Watch an upcoming video for more details on how to enter
- Prize – Razer Laptop
- Goal – Boost website traffic and YouTube fans
Linus Tech Tips is an incredibly popular YouTube channel that is focused on delivering reviews and advice on computers, smartphones, gaming peripherals, and more.
What started off as a YouTube channel has now grown into a massive online brand that features multiple YouTube channels, a podcast, and a merch store.
Linus and his team have already hosted plenty of giveaways in the past. It is one of the strategies they use to grow their YouTube channel and brand.
Our giveaway idea for Linus is to host a surprise giveaway for his fans. Participants must wait to watch a YouTube video (or live stream) when it premieres. The video will have the details on the proposed entry method.
This strategy will keep fans in suspense and will increase video views because fans will be eager to know how to enter the giveaway.
Linus can potentially redirect users to his store to enter the giveaway (increase store traffic) or request that users simply subscribe, like, and comment on the video to enter.
Benefits of this campaign:
- By announcing the giveaway only and not the entry method, you can build up suspense among your fanbase. People will have to wait patiently for the moment you release all of the giveaway information. Because Linus has a massive following on YouTube, he can announce the giveaway entry method in a video.
- Linus can use his Christmas giveaway to boost YouTube subscribers and engagent during the busy holiday period. He can also use this opportunity to drive traffic to his merch store.
Another great end-of-year marketing idea is to host a New Year Giveaway.
We have a complete guide to New Year Giveaways that includes case studies, giveaway examples, and more.
Christmas Giveaway Q&A
Christmas giveaways are best held during December (especially early December). The giveaway can end before Christmas day, or in some cases, on New Years Day.
It might make sense to host the giveaway earlier in November. However, your Christmas giveaway can potentially be overshadowed by other brands’ Black Friday Promotions.
You can also choose to host your Christmas giveaway during other months of the year, like July. This strategy is ideal for Christmas-themed brands and stores that are trying to promote themselves during their off-season. If your brand doesn’t deal only in Christmas-themed products, then a Christmas giveaway in July might not be as effective.
No. You can give away any product or service. It’s always best to consider your audience first before selecting your giveaway prize. Choose a prize that will attract your target audience.
Christmas giveaways are powerful end-of-year campaigns that are engaging and exciting. Hosting a giveaway in December is a perfect strategy for brands looking to end the year on a solid note.
Christmas giveaways are not restricted to December. Niche brands that specialize in Christmas-themed products can host giveaways in June to grow their audience and website traffic.
From our analysis of the giveaway examples, we found that brands loved bundling multiple products together to make a huge prize to attract more people to the giveaway. Brands are also not afraid to go collab with other brands and go big with their giveaway.
What do you think about Christmas giveaways? Is this something that you plan on hosting in the future? Let us know in the comments below.
Jack Paxton is the co-founder of VYPER, a marketing tool that helps brands build email lists, social followings, and revenue using viral giveaways, referral, and reward programs. After millions of dollars spent testing different marketing strategies at his marketing agency. He then also co-founded Hyax a fast, conversion & design-focused course and funnel builder for creators.